Castor oil is extracted through the process of cold pressing. The oil is normally clear to pale yellow in colour and has a consistency similar to that of honey.
As Castor oil is so viscous, it is not normally used in aromatherapy, although adding a small amount of the oil to your massage oil base can help to leave the skin soft and hydrated.
In skincare, Castor oil is believed to provide a protective barrier for the skin, offering relief and protection from conditions such as nappy rash. When added to creams and lotions Castor oil adds conditioning properties intended to leave the skin soft and smooth.
Adding a small amount of castor to your shampoo is believed to help treat dandruff and itchy scalp conditions. Equally, applying a very small amount of the oil to the dry ends of the hair offers deep conditioning benefits.
Historically, castor oil has been used in compresses intended to treat a range of afflictions from lumbago and rheumatism to hair loss. More recently, the oil has been popularised for use on eyebrows and eyelashes to promote healthy growth.
- 100% pure, cold pressed, high quality carrier oil.
- Suitable for protecting and conditioning skin and hair.
- Can be used on eyelashes and eyebrows to promote growth.
- Believed to help prevent nappy rash.
- Castor oil is often used as a protective barrier for the skin, therefore leaving it soft and hydrated. It is also reputed to promote the healthy grow of hair, eyebrows and eyelashes.